I recently discovered a truly great gluten & dairy free take on a classic “Creamy Shrimp” (recipe and photo from Clean Food Crush.) In addition to being absolutely tasty, ingredients such as mushrooms, shrimp and chicken broth (try to use your own homemade bone broth whenever possible!) are amazing immunity builders. However, as we know, with Crohn’s Disease there are quite a few other things to consider besides perhaps trying to steer clear of gluten or dairy. Spinach and zucchini may be difficult for some individuals to tolerate and may cause some digestion problems. You may not have any issues with these ingredients, but if you do, you can swap out the zucchini for spiralized sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash or rice noodles. If spinach causes you problems, you can leave it out completely, or try swiss chard, other (less) leafy greens, or substitute it with a veggie that works better for you, (perhaps cauliflower?) Taking the extra time to stew the veggies and make sure they are thoroughly cooked (before adding the shrimp) can greatly help with digestion as well.
- 1 1/2 lbs raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp avocado oil, coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable, or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup almond or coconut flour
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 small yellow squash, or zucchini, sliced into noodles using a Spiralizer
- How do you tolerate zucchini? If you don’t, do you have an alternative you like to use?
- Does spinach or other leafy greens work for you in stews when they have been cooked and broken down?
- How do you handle coconut cream, oil or milk?
- Do you have any other ingredients in this dish that you struggle with?
- Any additions that you think would either be delicious or beneficial? Please share your thoughts….We’d love to know what works for you!
* PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS MERELY AN OPINION BLOG. THE RESEARCH AND INFORMATION COVERED IN THIS BLOG IS OPEN TO PUBLIC DOMAIN FOR DISCUSSION. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FORMAL MEDICAL BACKGROUND. WE SIMPLY WANT TO SHARE AND DISCUSS FOODS FOR THOSE WITH CROHN’S DISEASE. BECAUSE PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM CROHN’S DISEASE TOLERATE A VARIETY OF FOODS DIFFERENTLY, RECIPES OFTEN NEED SPECIFIC ALTERATIONS FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. GET CREATIVE! LEAVE OUT THE FOODS THAT DON’T WORK FOR YOU AND USE THE FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD. HAPPY COOKING!!