Steering clear from desserts and sweets can get exhausting and downright frustrating, ESPECIALLY during the holidays. Watching everyone else eat delicious food that you can’t have can leave you feeling out of place at the party. That is why I love baked sliced apples. Not only can it be a great option for people with Crohn’s, (slow cooking the apples make them much easier to digest,) but it is a great dish to bring to holiday parties for everyone to share. If you have a difficult time tolerating apples, try baking fresh peaches, mangos or papayas instead. By making the baked apples (or any other fruit) exactly how you can tolerate them, you know you will have a “safe food” you can count on at the party, while still allowing others to add toppings and variations that work for them. Whether savoring the cinnamon spiced baked apples cooked in their own natural sugars, or adding whipping cream or ice cream to the top, this is a dessert that everyone will enjoy. Bring your baked apples right in the crockpot over to the party along with some toppings to share, for an easy, low maintenance dessert this holiday season. (Don’t forget to use those left over baked apples – if there are any- for a great breakfast option!)
- 3-1/2 c. apples, (cored, peeled and thickly sliced) * Make sure to remove the skin to make them easier to digest. Some people find Green Apples are more difficult to tolerate. Pick your favorite or a variety!)
- 3 T. – Sweetener. (maple syrup, agave nectar, honey or sugar – use a sweetener that works best for you, or leave it out completely.)
- 1-1/2 tsps. apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 T. apple juice, unsweetened
- 1 T. butter (If you don’t want butter, you can swap it out for coconut oil)
*Optional, 1/4 c raisins
- Lightly coat the slow cooker container with 1/2 of the butter or coconut oil.
- Pour apples into the crock pot
- Add sweetener, apple pie spice, and apple juice.
- Mix well.
- Dot top with remaining butter or coconut oil.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4-6 hours.
TOPPINGS IDEAS FOR SHARING:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipping Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Baked Oatmeal
PLEASE SHARE YOUR FAVORITE BAKED FRUIT RECIPE!
Do you have a favorite baked apple (or other fruit) recipe that works with your Crohn’s? We’d love to see it!
* PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS MERELY AN OPINION BLOG. THE RESEARCH AND INFORMATION COVERED IN THIS BLOG IS OPEN TO PUBLIC DOMAIN FOR DISCUSSION. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FORMAL MEDICAL BACKGROUND. WE SIMPLY WANT TO SHARE AND DISCUSS FOODS FOR THOSE WITH CROHN’S DISEASE. BECAUSE PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM CROHN’S DISEASE TOLERATE A VARIETY OF FOODS DIFFERENTLY, RECIPES OFTEN NEED SPECIFIC ALTERATIONS FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. GET CREATIVE! LEAVE OUT THE FOODS THAT DON’T WORK FOR YOU AND USE THE FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD. HAPPY COOKING!!